Application Procedures for VA Education Benefits
- Verify your eligibility and determine the benefit chapter you are eligible for by
calling the 1 (888) 442-4551 to speak with a Veterans Benefits Counselor. Or you can
apply by going to https://www.va.gov/education/how-to-apply/. If you are applying for Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E), formerly called
VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, an application can be submitted though
VA.gov at https://www.va.gov/careers-employment/vocational-rehabilitation/how-to-apply/.
The chapters are: 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®); 30 (active duty veteran); 31 (VR&E); 35 (children/dependents or spouse); and 1606 (Selected Reserve). Please refer to the GI Bill® Official Website at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill for more details.
- New students must complete an Online Admission Application.
- New students must complete the math and English assessment and NVC orientation
- Submit official copies of transcripts from previous colleges attended, copy of VA form DD-214 Member Copy-4 or Service-2 (if a veteran) or form DD-2384 Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE, if in the Reserves) to the Financial Aid Office.
- Make an appointment to see a veterans counselor at the General Counseling Center (Bldg 1300) to develop a VA Educational Plan one week after you submit your official copies of transcripts.
- Fill out and submit your application for veterans benefits online to the VA at https://www.va.gov/
- Complete the following documents.
- Statement of Understanding of VA Educational Benefits
- In-Processing Checklist
- Enrollment Certification Request, required every semester
- Apply for Federal Financial Aid by completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Can be used together with Veterans Educational Benefits.
Note: Incomplete application packet will not be processed. You are required to submit an Enrollment Certification Request every semester after you finalized your schedule/registration.
IMPORTANT! CHAPTERS 30 and 1606 : You MUST VERIFY your enrollment every month with the VA either by 1-877-823-2378 OR by signing on to WAVES at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill . Click on "Verify Attendance" (W.A.V.E.).
If you have questions regarding your payment information, eligibility or delimiting date, please call the VA at 1-888-442-4551 or go online at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill. Click on Questions & Answers.
CHAPTER 31: Your enrollment will be certified after the VA Certifying Official receives an authorization from a VA Veterans Readiness and Employment.
Programs approved for GI Bill® benefits are listed in WEAMS.
"GI Bill®" is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.