The purpose of this committee is to evaluate and make recommendations on matters related to the credit and non-credit curriculum. Course and program additions, deletions, or significant changes in program requirements or in course outlines must be voted upon by this committee.
The Curriculum Committee shall:
- Develop written procedures and deadlines for all credit and noncredit curriculum submission and approval. The Senate is to approve processes and procedures.
- Review and make recommendations on new course and new program proposals and on course and program revisions. Ensure that all additions and/or changes in course outlines and program outlines comply with curriculum regulations and development criteria.
- Make recommendations to the Academic Senate on issues relating to curriculum, such as changes in graduation or general education requirements. The committee will determine if a course is classified as general education for the associate degree and into which category it should be placed.
- Classify courses into appropriate disciplines and support submission of courses for transfer articulation. The committee will advise faculty on criteria and requirements for transfer general education patterns and transfer degrees.
- Review and make recommendations on proposed course and program deletions and inactive status.
- Vote whether or not to recommend course or program additions, deletions, or changes to the Academic Senate (which recommends to the NVC Board of Trustees for approval).
The Curriculum Committee ordinarily meets in Room 1434/1435 on the first and third Friday of each month during the academic year from 9 a.m. – 10:30 a.m., including all the following dates:
August 10*, 18
*Note: Flex Day meeting (8/10) in Room 1637 from 2:00-3:00 p.m. Meeting times and dates are subject to change when necessary.
As required by the California Brown Act on open meetings, all committee agendas and supporting documents will be posted at least 72 hours in advance to BoardDocs. Opportunity for public comment will be provided at the beginning of each meeting.
- The committee intends to continue to offer members of the public the opportunity to participate virtually via Zoom at the following address: https://napavalley-edu.zoom.us/j/84191462768 However, as this option is being provided as a matter of convenience to the public and not pursuant to the modified Brown Act teleconferencing rules, please be advised that the District does not guarantee public participation via Zoom. If Zoom fails or there are any other technical difficulties, the meeting will continue in person without virtual participation.
- If you require accessibility accommodations to participate in this meeting, please contact the Academic Senate Administrative Assistant at: email@example.com
- Curriculum Committee Faculty Co-Chair (votes only in the event of a tie)
- Articulation Officer
- Faculty Representatives (appointed by Academic Senate President)
- Curriculum Analyst
- Admissions and Records Analyst (appointed by Classified Senate President)
- Student (appointed by ASNVC President)
- Curriculum Committee Administrative Co-Chair (VPAA)
- Academic Deans (as determined by the Administrative Co-Chair)
|Curriculum Committee Membership 2023-2024
Ana Clare Elizarrarás
Curriculum Committee Faculty Co-Chair
|Faculty Representative for Social Sciences
|Faculty Representative for Arts and Humanities
|Faculty Representative for Mathematics
|Faculty Representative for Language Arts and Development Studies
|Faculty Representative for Science and Engineering
|Faculty Representative for Career Education
|Ad Hoc Senate Representative
|Faculty Representative for English
|Faculty Representative for Health Occupations
|Faculty Representative for Counseling
|Faculty Representative for Kinesiology
Curriculum Committee Administrative Co-Chair and Vice President of Academic Affairs
|Dean of Kinesiology, Administration of Justice, and Social Sciences
|Senior Dean of LADS, Math, Arts and Humanities, and Health Occupations
|Dean of Science and Engineering
|Senior Dean of Career Education and Workforce Development
|Director of Continuing Education and Community Partnerships
Admissions and Records Analyst
ASNVC Student Representative
- Title 5 and Board Policy
- Role of Curriculum Committee
- Parliamentary Rules
- Committee Timelines
- Course Approval Process
- Substantive vs. Non-Substantive Modifications
- Discipline Placement Process
- Program Approval Process
- Course and Program Archival Process
- New Program and Program Archival Taskforces
- Development Criteria
- Standards for Course Approval
- Degrees and Certificates
- Distance Education Definitions and Standards
- Purpose of the Course Outline of Record
- Required Components
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the COR
- Writing Standards and Guidelines
- NVC General Education
- CSU General Education
- Blooms Taxonomy
- Unit/Hour Formulas
- Course Numbering System
- Resources from the State Academic Senate and System Office
- CTE Program Proposal Forms and Processes
- SAM Code Definitions
- Model Course Outlines of Record
- Disciplines Requiring a Master's Degree
- Disciplines Not Requiring a Master's Degree