Skip to main contentSkip to footer content

Financial Aid Applications

Use NVC School Code: 001247

Apply Now

If you are or were in foster care for at least one day, between the ages of 16 and 18 as a dependent or ward of the court and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for career and technical training or college. You don’t have to pay this money back. You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for child care, transportation and rent while you’re in school. You can use your Chafee Grant at any eligible California college or university or career or technical school, as well as schools in other states.

Apply Now

Direct loans are low-interest federal student loans to help you pay for the cost of education at NVC. The lender is the U.S. Department of Education rather than a bank or financial institution. As a Direct Loan borrower, a Loan Servicer/Federal Loan Servicer will be assigned to service your loans.

There are two types of Direct Loans available at NVC:

  1. Direct Subsidized Loans (Federal Direct Stafford/Ford Loans) are loans for students with financial need, as determined by federal regulations. No interest is charged while you are in school at least half-time and during deferment periods.
  2. Direct Unsubsidized Loans (Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford/Ford Loans) are loans for students that are not based on financial need. Interest is charged during all periods.
  • You must file a FAFSA and complete your financial aid file before you can apply for the Direct Loan.
  • Read the instructions and follow the step carefully.
  • Submit your Direct Loan Application by the deadline listed.

Learn more

The NVC Bookstore Advance is a program that allows students who have substantially completed the Financial Aid process to request an advance on their pending Financial Aid, in order to purchase books and supplies for the current semester.

  1. You must file a FAFSA or CADA, or have a pending scholarship before you can apply for the Bookstore Advance.
  2. Read the instructions and complete the form carefully.


The Napa Valley College Bookstore Advance Authorization is available to students who:

  • Submitted a FAFSA or Dream Application, listing NVC as their school of attendance; and
  • Submitted all required Financial Aid documents for the current academic year; and
  • Are not receiving a Financial Aid disbursement on the first scheduled payment of the current semester, or have not yet received a disbursement; and
  • Are enrolled at least half-time (6 or more units) in courses at NVC for the current semester, as required for their major/program of study; and
  • Are in good Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress standing at NVC; and
  • Are not in default on an educational loan, or owe a repayment of financial aid funds or college fees; and
    Have been determined eligible by the Financial Aid Office to receive Federal and/or State grant aid.

NOTE: Students who do not meet these criteria but have a pending scholarship disbursement may complete this request.

Terms and Conditions

  • This is an advance issued for the cost of books and supplies, not to exceed immediate award eligibility.
  • If eligibility cannot be verified this request will be denied.
  • If verified and approved, Napa Valley College is authorized to deduct up to the full amount of the advance from any Financial Aid or scholarship payment.
    If a student becomes ineligible for Financial Aid before the amount of the Advance is recovered, the advance will become a loan that must be repaid by the last day of the semester issued.
  • Approved Advances are available to use at the NVC Follett Bookstore only, and will be available on or after the first Financial Aid payment date of each semester (see Financial Aid Refund Payment dates).
  • All students will be notified by email of the final decision about their application.
    By proceeding the applicant understands the Criteria and Terms and Conditions of the Bookstore Advance Request.

Apply Now

Video Tutorials

Apply Now

The AB 540 benefit is available to all U.S. citizens, permanent residents of the U.S., and aliens who are not nonimmigrants (including those who are undocumented), who meet all other eligibility criteria.

In 2001, Assembly Bill (AB) 540 was passed to allow non-resident students who meet specific high school criteria to pay the lower resident fees at California's public colleges and universities.

The California Dream Act

  • In July 2011, AB 130 was passed to allow students who meet AB 540 criteria (California Education Code 68130.5(a)) to apply for and receive non-state funded scholarships for public colleges and universities.

  • Dream Act Part II: In October 2011, AB 131 was passed to allow students who meet AB 540 criteria to apply for and receive state-funded financial aid such as institutional grants, community college fee waivers, Cal Grant and Chafee Grant. AB 131 goes into effect beginning January 1, 2013.

Financial Aid for AB 540 Eligible Students

Dreamer and DACA students who are determined AB 540 eligible may qualify for enrollment fee waivers and State grants like the Cal Grant and the Student Success Completion Grant.

U.S. Citizens or Eligible Non-Citizens

If you are not a California resident, but meet the AB 540 criteria, your non-resident tuition will be waived until you have established CA residency (1 year and 1 day) with Admissions & Records. You may qualify for Federal and State financial aid if you submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Undocumented, Under-documented, and DACA Non-Citizens

If you meet the AB 540 criteria, you may qualify to receive State financial aid if you submit the California Dream Act Application (CADAA). You must be determined AB 540 eligible by the Admissions & Records Office to qualify for State financial aid. DACA students who are identified only as CA residents will not qualify for State grants.

How to Apply

STEP #1: Submit the AB 540 & AB2000 California Nonresident Tuition form to the Admissions & Records Office for an AB 540 eligibility determination. Contact the Welcome Center in person or by phone at (707) 256-7214 for additional information. You may disregard this step if you have already been determine AB 540 eligible with the Admissions & Records Office.

NOTICE FOR DACA STUDENTS: You must be determined AB 540 eligible by the Admissions & Records Office in order to qualify for Cal Grants and/or the Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS) program.

STEP #2: Submit your financial aid application. All AB 540 eligible applicants are considered for the CA College Promise Grant (formerly BOG fee waiver). U.S. Citizens and eligible non-citizens are considered for Federal and State aid. Undocumented non-citizens, including students who have completed the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), are considered for State aid only. All students must apply for scholarships separately.

STEP #3: Login to Financial Aid Self Service, to check your financial aid status and awards (preferred method):

  • Documents required to complete your financial aid application (FAFSA and CA Dream App) may be found under the FA Self Service link. Submit any required documents promptly to the Financial Aid/EOPS Office to avoid awarding delays. Documents are now available online using DocuSign services.

  • Financial aid award letters and individual awards, including CCPG, grants, and scholarships may be found under the review awards link.

You may also call or visit the Financial Aid/EOPS/Veterans Services Office using our virtual services during regular business hours to make an online video appointment to meet with a Financial Aid staff person. A picture ID will be required to verify your identity when you arrive for your scheduled video appointment. Due to confidentiality laws, the Financial Aid/EOPS Office cannot give out information about your application over the phone or by email.

Step #4: Pay to Stay - Napa Valley College has a Pay to Stay in your classes policy. Students who register for classes, but fail to pay their course related fees in full, will be dropped from their classes after the grace period has ended.

  • Napa Valley College (NVC) Promise Scholarship Program: If you are a recent high school graduate, you may qualify to have your enrollment, course, and semester fees paid for you through the NVC Promise Scholarship Program. To see if you qualify, click here to view the NVC Promise webpage.
  • If you qualify for the CA College Promise Grant (CCPG-formerly BOG fee waiver), only the enrollment fees will be waived when you register for classes. You are responsible for paying all other course related fees IN FULL. Any unpaid or partially paid courses will be dropped for non-payment after the 7-day grace period.
  • Pay your outstanding fees in Self Service or in person at the Cashier Office. You will have a 7 days from the date you register to pay all of your course fees in full or you will be dropped for non-payment.
  • If you pay your enrollment fees and then become eligible for the CCPG or the NVC Promise, the enrollment fees or NVC Promise covered fees you paid will be refunded to you.

The California College Promise Grant pays enrollment fees for eligible California residents at a California Community College. To apply for the California College Promise Grant (CCPG) at Napa Valley College, students must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA). Students who submit the FAFSA or CADAA will also be considered for grants, work study, and other forms of financial assistance. Students who are having difficulty applying should contact the Financial Aid/EOPS Office to request application assistance.

The California College Promise Grant (CCPG) pays your Napa Valley College Enrollment Fees ONLY for the Summer, Fall, and Spring semesters for the academic year.

You are responsible for paying all other class related fees (lab fees, material fees, etc.) or you will be dropped from those classes for non-payment.

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO PAY ALL CLASS RELATED FEES at the time of registration. If you fail to pay all class-related fees before a class begins, you can be dropped for non-payment.

If you are a California resident or eligible AB 540 student and are awarded a CCPG, your enrollment fees will be paid for you when you register. However, you must pay all other course related fees within 14 days of registration. If you do not pay your outstanding course related fees in full within the 14-day grace period, you may be dropped for non-payment.

The Napa Valley College (NVC) Promise Scholarship is a 2-year program that pays tuition and fees at Napa Valley College for eligible California resident (including AB540) students
(regardless of family income) who:

  • Have submitted a Napa Valley College admissions application; AND

  • Have submitted a FAFSA or CADAA (see "How do I apply" below)

  • Are or will be a full-time student attending NVC who have never received a NVC Promise Scholarship; OR

  • Are or will be a full-time student attending NVC who complete received the first year of the NVC Promise Scholarship and are applying to renew their scholarship for a second year; AND

  • Are California residents (or AB540 eligible) for tuition purposes with Admissions & Records; AND

  • Have not already earned an Associate Degree or higher.

Learn more