Checklist for Graduates
Eligible 2023-24 graduates will be invited in early April to join a Commencement 2024 Canvas course to receive notifications and instructions on the ceremony.
The Commencement Canvas course is not available yet. Please continue to refer to the Commencement website until the Canvas course is live. The Office of Student Affairs will email you at your NVC student email address.
- Graduates will be required to RSVP by May 17 if they wish to participate in the ceremony.
- We need to know if you plan or not to attend the ceremony and also the rehearsal and whether you need to request special accommodations.
- The RSVP link will not be shared until the formal invite goes out.
- Regalia is required to participate in the ceremony and can be purchased from the NVC Bookstore, (707) 256-7480. For more details, see the Cap and Gown (Academic Regalia) page.
- Graduates are allowed to decorate their cap. Get creative! No restrictions but must not be offensive or inappropriate.
- It can last about 1.5-2 hours depending on how many graduates participate.
- Attendance at rehearsal is highly recommended but not required if you are taking a final.
- You will receive your Graduate Information Card at the rehearsal
- Write your full name as you want it to be read; spell it out phonetically, if necessary.
- Write down ONLY one of your degrees or certificates. Only one will be read during the ceremony.
- You will leave your card at the podium during the rehearsal and will need to pick it up in the evening again.
- If you cannot attend the rehearsal, don't worry. Just plan to arrive early by 4:30
p.m. prior to the ceremony to receive a semi-filled card and further instructions
prior to lining up.
- Graduates line-up in no specific order; first to arrive, get front rows; last to arrive, get back rows.
- No saving of spots for other classmates once countdown begins