Join the SSS TRIO Program Today!
2016-2017 Academic Year
Click here for the 2016-2017 SSS TRIO Brochure
Click here for the 2016-2017 SSS TRIO Application
2017-2018 Applications available August 1st, 2017 (tentative)
*For more information to apply to SSS TRIO, contact Michelle Hinchcliff at email@example.com
Student Support Services (SSS) TRIO is a Federally funded program dedicated to helping 185 Napa Valley College students. The grant serves income-eligible, first-generation students, and individuals with disabilities according to ratios and guidelines set by the federal government. Students must show intent to complete a degree or certificate program and transfer to a four-year institution. Eligible students who are committed to their college education and willing to participate will be offered enriched services designed to help them meet their educational goals.
- Academic Advising: An Education Plan leading to Graduation and/or Transfer will be created and updated with a qualified Counselor or Student Specialist.
- Counseling: Academic and supportive counseling; early assistance for registration; follow up on mid-semester evaluation reports.
- Social and Cultural Activities: Participation in theatre, multicultural, and academic events.
- College Transfer Assistance: Individual planning for admission, application, and transition to four year colleges and universities.
- Financial Aid: Assistance with filling out the FAFSA application. Help with scholarship searches and applications.
- Financial & Economic Literacy: Learn about managing your money, saving for college, developing a budget, ways to save money and much more.
- Counseling 97 Class: All new students are required to enroll in COUN 97 or take another counseling course approved by the program.
- Tutoring: Academic Mentors are available in a wide variety of subjects.
What are the eligibility requirements
The grant requires that applicants must meet the following criteria set by the U.S. Department of Education:
- Be a United States Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Be within Federal Income guidelines and/or
- Neither parent or guardian has graduated from a four-year college
CANDIDATES MUST ALSO
- Provide required income and residency verification
- Submit all documents requested by SSS TRiO staff
- Sign a mutual agreement contract to participate fully in the program
- Be in good academic standing
- Earn a degree or certificate and transfer to a 4-year institution
If you are a student or if you are a staff member/instructor/counselor who identifies a student whom you believe may benefit from our services, please call us at 256-7350 or visit us in our office, building 1300 office 1333. We will screen for Federal guidelines to determine eligibility.
- Submit a completed 2016-2017 SSS TRIO Application
- Submit a copy of your parent(s) or guardians SIGNED 2015 Federal Taxes (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ)
For questions, please call our office at 707-256-7350.
The applicant will receive an email that their application has been received by our SSS TRIO Office. Thereafter, applicants should receive an email and/or letter regarding the status of their application.
If you meet eligibility critera and are deemed eligible by SSS TRIO staff, then staff will request the following from the applicant:
- High School Transcripts
- College Transcripts from Institution(s) you have attended (if applicable)
- Copy of your English and/or Math Placement Test
- Eureka Assessment (By Appointment Only)
After the above items have been completed and submitted to our TRIO office, we will then schedule your first appointment.
Where to find an application
SSS TRIO Applications for the 2016-2017 academic year are still available. The 2017-2018 applications will be available August 1st, 2017 (tentative). SSS TRIO applications can be picked up in the following locations: Admissions & Records, Welcome Center, Counseling Center, Financial Aid/EOPS, Learning Services Department, SSS TRIO Office 1333, and applications can be found on our website, printed and submitted to our SSS TRIO Office.
*High School students that graduate in June 2017 and are enrolled at Napa Valley College for at least 1 course, may be eligible for the 2016-2017 academic year. Please contact Michelle Hinchclff at 707-256-7350 for more information.