Math is more than a numbers game. Studying math builds analytical and problem-solving skills, and is increasingly important for a variety of careers in today’s data-driven workplace.
Did You Know?
- NVC’s Math Success Center helps students improve their math skills through individual and small-group tutoring. Services include drop-in appointments, assistance with homework assignments, exam preparation, free computer access and online tutoring through Smarthinking, and more.
- 42 states and Washington, DC, are currently experiencing math teacher shortages
- Demand for statisticians in California is set to grow 41% through 2028.
Department Coordinator, Mathematics
- Office 1030C
NVC’s Mathematics program strives to make mathematics accessible and meaningful by employing diverse teaching methods in courses emphasizing vital quantitative skills and qualitative reasoning ability. The goal is to ensure that all students receive the instruction and support necessary to become confident, independent, and successful lifelong learners, capable of achieving their academic and professional goals.
Students may earn an AS-T in Mathematics as preparation for transfer to a CSU to major in mathematics. Individual class credits can satisfy prerequisite requirements for NVC degrees in a number of disciplines, from nursing to winemaking to earth science.
To see the latest Mathematics placement and course sequence recommendations, visit the Placement Standards page. To view placement tools, visit the Testing Center Placement Tools page.
Mathematics are central to a range of jobs in today’s complex and data-rich work environments. Mathematics graduates can undertake further study to work at research and development laboratories, or enter fields such as statistical research, data analysis, finance and economics, and public health.
- Data scientists
- Computer programmers
- Financial managers
- Mathematics teachers
- Learn more:
- org – Career guide from Brigham Young University
- CareerOneStop – BLS.gov guide to local wage averages & job growth
UC Davis offers five undergraduate degrees in Mathematics and related disciplines; overall, there are more than 100 undergraduate math degree options in the UC and CSU systems. To learn which is right for you, visit the Transfer Center, and work with NVC Counseling to select the right courses for a smooth transfer process.