Skip to main contentSkip to footer content

Pay-to-Stay Information

You must pay for your classes in order to stay in your classes.

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO PAY for your classes at the time of registration. If you fail to pay all class-related fees before a class begins, you can be dropped for non-payment. Once a class begins, NVC cannot drop you from the class for non-payment, but we will place a block on your future registration until your account is paid in full.

YOU MAY PAY YOUR FEES online through MyNVC Self-Service. NVC accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express credit cards.

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR DROPPING any class you do not plan to attend. If you stop attending and do not drop your class, you may receive an F grade for that class.

YOU ARE FINANCIALLY RESPONSIBLE TO PAY the tuition and fees for any class that you do not drop during the published refund period. Refund dates are published in the online schedule of classes and on the registration calendar each semester. If you want a refund of tuition and fees for the dropped class, you MUST drop the class during the published refund period. Tuition and fees will not be refunded to you if you drop after the refund period is over.

Pay-to-Stay Grace Period

  1. The Pay-to-Stay program allows you a 14-day grace period to pay for your classes before being dropped for non-payment.
  2. The date you register for a class determines the payment grace period for that class. You are not “registered” for classes on a waitlist, so no payment is due until you are allowed to officially register. Once officially registered, the Pay-to-Stay requirement will apply.
  3. At the end of the grace period, NVC will review the payments received and determine whether the course is paid-in-full or if you still owe money for class-related fees.
  4. If you fail pay all required fees within the allowable grace period, you may be dropped from some or all of your classes the day after the grace period ends.
  5. The date a class is dropped for non-payment is determined by the date you officially registered for that class.
  6. If you are dropped for non-payment, any payments applied to the dropped classes will be credited to your student account. If you enroll in additional classes, the credit balance will be applied to those classes. If a credit balance remains on your student account after the published refund period is over, the balance will be refunded to you 6-8 weeks later. A $5 processing fee will be deducted from the amount refunded to you.

Pay-to-Stay Examples

EXAMPLE 1: Spring Registration is open and you register in MATH-90 on November 8th, and then you register in ENGL-120 on November 10th. Both classes have a 14 day grace period since neither class will start until the semester begins January 21st (see Transaction 1 & 2 in the Example Table).

EXAMPLE 2: Once a class begins, you cannot be dropped for non-payment (see Example Table Transaction #3). However, if you fail to pay the full amount you owe to NVC, a restriction will be placed on your student account to block future registration until you pay in full. You are responsible for dropping a class if you do not plan to attend.

EXAMPLE 3: If you are enrolled in a class that begins a week or more after the semester starts (see Example Table Transaction #4), you will have a 14-day grace period to pay for all class related fees or you will be dropped from that “late start” class. Once the class begins, you are responsible for dropping the class if you do not plan to attend.


Transaction #


Class Start Date

Registration Date

Pay-to-Stay Grace Period End Date

Pay-to-Stay Drop Date

























To avoid being dropped for non-payment, students must do one of the following before the applicable grace period ends:

  • Pay all class fees due; OR
  • If you are a California resident or eligible AB540 student who is applying for financial aid to pay your fees, you must
  • Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or California Dream Application (undocumented AB540 eligible students only) listing NVC (school code 001247) as a school you are attending, and be awarded an enrollment fee waiver California College Promise Grant (CCPG), formerly the Board of Governors Enrollment Fee Waiver (BOGW). Once awarded, a CCPG is valid for Summer, Fall, and Spring, so you must reapply every year in Spring for the following Summer; and
  • The CCPG pays only enrollment fees, so you must pay for any class fees (lab fees, materials fees, etc.) not covered by the CCPG; or
  • Submit a FAFSA and be determined eligible for a Federal Pell Grant or awarded a Direct Loan that will pay for any class fees not covered by the CCPG; or
  • If you are an out-of-state student who is applying for financial aid to pay your fees, you must submit a FAFSA and be awarded a Federal Pell Grant or Direct Loan that will pay for all of the class fees due; or
  • If identified as an out-of-state resident being charged tuition, but you submitted a CA Residency form to the Admissions & Records Office for an in-state residency determination, you must:
  • Pay all enrollment and class fees and REQUEST a tuition deferral from the Business Office until the residency form is processed.
  • If CA Residency is not approved, you must pay out-of-state tuition immediately or request additional time to pay.
  • If CA Residency is approved and you have been awarded a CCPG, a refund of enrollment fees paid will be calculated when the CCPG is applied.
  • If class fees will be paid by a third party, such as Vocational Rehabilitation, you must submit payment authorization to the Business Office before you register; or
  • If class fees will be paid by Veterans Benefits under Chapter 33 Post 9/11 or Chapter 31 VA Vocational Rehabilitation, you must submit authorization to the Financial Aid/EOPS/Veterans Office before you register; or
  • To request a short-term deferral of fees based on special circumstances, you must contact one of the following departments:
  • Residency Issues -- Admissions and Records Office
  • Financial Aid Issues -- Financial Aid/EOPS Office
  • Veterans Issues -- Financial Aid/EOPS/Veterans Office
  • Sponsored Billing/Third-Party Billing -- Business and Finance Office
  • Other billing issues -- Business and Finance Office

Online payments must be submitted no later than 5:00 PM (PST) on the payment due date with a Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express credit card. MyNVC Self-Service may not be available on some days due to maintenance, updates, and unplanned outages, so plan to pay your fees as soon as possible after registration.