Napa Valley College is proud to offer the Puente Project. The Puente Project is an academic support program and learning community whose mission is to increase the number of educationally underrepresented students who:
*enroll in four-year colleges,
*earn college degrees, and
*return to the community as mentors and leaders for future generations.
The Puente Program is open to all students from any affinity group.
Puente provides three areas of service to students: teaching, counseling, and mentoring. The program serves students in 65+ community colleges, 38+ high schools, and 4 middle schools throughout California, and has expanded to Texas and Washington. Puente's programs have benefited over 40,000 students directly and over 400,000 indirectly. For more general information about the nation Puente Project, please click here:
National Puente Project
The Puente approach is unique in that the reading is focused on Latinx and Mexican-American literature, essays, and cultural writings in both the fall and spring semester classes.
The program follows this sequence:
|Phase 1: Fall||Engl 120 (4) +|
Engl 95 (2)
Coun 100 (3)
|Reading & Comp 1 +|
|Phase 2: Spring||Engl 123 (4)|
Coun 105 (1.5) +
Coun 111 (1.5)
|Crit. Thinking & Lit.|
Transfer Success +
|Phase 3: All remaining terms @ NVC||Any future classes together||Leadership Conference|
In addition to taking these courses together, students work with community mentors and attend events throughout the year that include university visits, workshops about networking and professional development, cultural activities such as museum tours, and theater and music productions, and more.
Steps to Enroll in the Program:
1. Follow Steps 1-4 of the 5 Steps to Enroll for Napa Valley College.
2. After the English placement tool (Step 3), complete the Fall 2021 Interest Form
3. Expect a call or email contact from the counselor, Marci Sanchez
4. Days and times of the specific Puente sections of English and Counseling classes, and monthly events will be shared as soon as they are confirmed each semester.
5. Attend our Puente Summer Bridge to meet the team, meet your classmates, and begin building community to prepare for the academic year.
Contact the Puente Counselor the following ways:
1. Online through ConexEd/Cranium Cafe.
*If the counselor is "Online", Knock on the door and start a chat session
*If the counselor is "Away" or "Offline",
send an email and they will follow up within 1-2 business days.
2. By email: email@example.com
3. By phone: 707-253-7235
Contact Michele Villante, Puente Mentor Coordinator by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (707) 256-7445 to learn more about the mentoring opportunities with Puente students.