The Financial Aid/EOPS Office offers a variety of aid programs, including grants, loans, scholarships, and work study opportunities for students who are having a difficult time meeting the cost of attending Napa Valley College.

Any student who is having financial difficulties is urged to contact the Financial Aid/EOPS Office for application information.  Don’t disqualify yourself!  If you think you need financial aid, apply for it.

If you are a US Citizen or eligible non-citizen, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  You will be considered for the CA College Promise Grant (enrollment fee waiver), Federal and State grants, federal work study and federal student loans.  These include the Federal Pell Grant, Cal Grants, Federal Supplement Educational Opportunity Grant, Grant (FSEOG), Federal Work Study, Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS), Student Success Completion Grant and the Federal Direct Loan.  

If you are a non-citizen who is DACA or an AB540 eligible Dreamer, complete the California Dream Act Application (CADAA). You will be considered for the CA College Promise Grant (enrollment fee waiver) and State grants.  These include Cal Grants, Student Success Completion Grant, and the Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS).

The application period for each award year begins October 1 prior to the beginning of the following Fall Semester.  Check with the Financial Aid/EOPS Office, room 1132. 

A new FAFSA or CADAA application is required for each academic year. 
For more information, call (707) 256-7301 or
Come into the Financial Aid/EOPS/Veteran Services Office, room 1132. 

Priority Awarding 

Priority for financial aid funding is given to students who demonstrate the highest need. If your application is filed by March 2nd and your file is complete, it will be considered first priority. When your file is complete, aid will be awarded by the order of need. Applications will be accepted throughout the academic year.  Awards will be made as long as funds are available.


In order to qualify you must be

  • a regular student enrolled in an eligible program leading to a degree or certificate,
  • be in good academic standing,
  • demonstrate financial need,
  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible non citizen for federal and state aid, OR be an AB540 eligible Dreamer or DACA recipient for state aid only,
  • certify compliance with selective service registration requirements,
  • not be in default on any loan or owe a refund on any grant made under any Title IV program,
  • have a social security number (federal aid only), and
  • have a high school diploma or recognized equivalent.



The evaluation of your financial aid eligibility begins with a determination of family contribution which determines your, and/or your family’s ability to pay. Based on information provided on the FAFSA, an expected family contribution is calculated. This is the amount of money you and/or your parents are expected to contribute toward your educational cost.

Financial aid applications are processed centrally by national and state processors. That process determines the family contribution based on a standard methodology established by the federal government. This methodology evaluates a number of factors which include your income and assets (and those of your parents if applicable) and your family size.

A financial aid staff member reviews the results of the analysis and makes appropriate adjustments for your personal circumstances. You don’t have to be poor to qualify, but you do have to show that you need aid. Need is the difference between what it costs to attend college and what you and your family can afford to pay toward the cost.

Expenses/Standard Student Budget 

The following budget offers a guideline of expenses for a school year at Napa Valley College. Budget amounts may increase or decrease based on a student's living situation and enrollment status. The following tables show sample 9-month budgets for students:

Table 1: Off Campus   
All students living away from parent's home OR
All students with dependents


Tuition and Enrollment Fees**
California Resident

$       1,344

Books and Supplies










Total 9-Month Sample Budget      

$ 23,673


Table 2: At Home With Parents 
Dependent or Independent without dependents


Tuition and Enrollment Fees**
California Resident

$       1,344

Books and Supplies





included above





Total 9-Month Sample Budget     

$ 14,799


  **Tuition and Enrollment Fees (Sample Tables)

  • Shows enrollment and semester fees for 12 units of enrollment each semester. 
  • Out-of-State students add $258 per unit tuition.   
  • Foreign students add $265 per unit tuition.

Any student or parent who would like to discuss detailed expenses should contact the Financial Aid/EOPS Office, (Room 1132) at (707) 256-7301.

Financial Aid Refunds (Disbursements) 

Federal Pell Grant is disbursed twice each semester.  Federal SEOG, EOPS Grant, CARE Grant, Cal Grant B, Cal Grant C and other grants are disbursed once each semester.  Your disbursements will be paid to you based on your preference from your BankMobile account.  

Student Work Study checks are issued at the end of each month and are picked up at the Cashier's Office, Room 1307.

Please read the FA Payment Information page for important information about how financial aid awards are disbursed at NVC.  Click on the link listed above or at the top left of your screen.

Work Study Jobs

Federal Work Study Jobs
are available to students who qualify for financial aid. These are positions on-campus.  The pay rate begins at $13.25 and varies according to the job description.  Eligible students may work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session.  Students must work to earn a Federal Work Study award. 

Student Work Study Jobs
are available to students who do not qualify for other federal and state funds. Eligible students may work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session. 

In addition, part-time jobs are developed through the Career/Re-Entry Center. These positions are off campus and are available to any student enrolled at the college (except international students attending NVC on an F-1 visa status).

International Education 

Students enrolling in a program of study abroad, approved for credit at Napa Valley College, may be eligible for financial aid.


Students who receive financial aid payments are subject to repayment rules as outlined by the federal government. A student who withdraws or drops out may be required to repay all or part of any financial aid funds received. Please read the FA Repayment Requirements page for important information. Click on the link listed at the top left of your screen.

Any refunds for the return of unearned tuition and fees paid to the institution by federal financial aid funds will be returned to the federal account as defined by regulations.

Grants and Waivers

California College Promise Grant (CCPG - formerly BOGFW) are available to students in need of enrollment fee assistance. To be eligible, a student must be a California resident who at the time of enrollment is a recipient of Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), General Assistance, or meets the following income standards: 


2019-2020 CCPG Income Standards

Number in Household

Total Family Income 2017


$ 18,210


$ 24,690


$ 31,170


$ 37,650


$ 44,130


$ 50,610


$ 57,090


$ 63,570

(Add $6,480 for each additional family member.)

For students who do not meet the above criteria, eligibility for a CCPG may be determined by completing a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA).

The CCPG waives course enrollment fees only!  All other course fees (i.e. materials fees, lab fees, etc.) must be paid within 7 day of registration or students will be dropped for non-payment (see Pay-to-Stay for more information). 

Bureau of Indian Affairs Grants are available to students who are at least one-quarter American Indian. These grants provide supplemental funds for educational expenses. Contact the Bureau of Indian Affairs at (916) 978-4329 for application information.

Cal Grant B Awards are available to students from low-income backgrounds and average up to $ 1,656 a year. Apply before March each year for the following academic year.

Cal Grant C Awards of up to $ 1094 for training-related costs are available to students pursuing a vocationally oriented course of study. Apply before March each year for the following academic year.

Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG) Awards of $649-$2000 per semester are available to Cal Grant B and Cal Grant C students who are enrolled full-time (15 units required for maximum award).

CARE Grants are available for single parent EOPS students receiving TANF with at least one child under fourteen years of age to help pay for books, transportation, and child care. Support services to assist students in meeting their goals are part of the program.

Extended Opportunity Programs and Services Awards (EOPS) are available to educationally disadvantaged students with financial need. Additional support services are available through the program.

Federal Pell Grants of approximately $ 6195 per academic year are available to qualified students. This federal aid program is designed to provide assistance to those who demonstrate a financial need while attending college.  Students must apply each year beginning in October for the following academic year.

Summer Pell Grant awards may be available to students who have not received their maximum yearly award during the Fall and Spring semesters. Students who are enrolled at least half-time (6 or more units) may also qualify for additonal Pell under certain conditions. For more information, click on the Summer Pell Grant link above or use the Financial Aid Quick Launch link.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants of $ 100 to $ 4,000 per academic year may be available to students who are receiving a Federal Pell Grant and have financial need. Students with the highest need are considered first.


Scholarships are awarded each year to students, ranging from $ 100 to $ 5,000. Annual workshops, along with individual assistance are provided to help students with the application process. All students meeting scholarship requirements are encouraged to apply. Applications are accepted in December and January for the following academic year.  For more information contact the Financial Aid/EOPS Office. (For more information on scholarships, see the Foundation page)


Federal Direct Loan applications are available during the Fall Semester through the beginning of April for eligible students who have completed the financial aid application process. These loans have a low interest rate and are repayable six months after the borrower ceases to be a half-time student. For application information, click on the Federal Direct Loan Application & Instructions link.  

Federal Student Loans are required by law to provide a range of flexible repayment options, including but not limited to, income-based repayment and income contingent repayment plans, and loan forgiveness benefits which other student loans are not required to do. Federal loans are available to students regardless of income.  


Review Your Financial Aid History 

WebAdvisor is a secure Napa Valley College website where you can review your financial aid awards and print an award letter, search and register for classes, review your educational plan, and print an unofficial academic transcript.

The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is the U.S. Department of Education's (ED's) central database for student aid. NSLDS receives data from schools, guaranty agencies, the Direct Loan program, the Pell Grant program, and other Department of ED programs. NSLDS Student Access provides a centralized, integrated view of Title IV loans and Pell grants so that recipients of Title IV Aid can access and inquire about their Title IV loans and/or Pell grant data. Click on the highlighted National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) text in this message or go to to enter the site.

WebGrants for Students. The California Student Aid Commission has created this website just students.   This site allows Cal Grant and/or Chafee applicants and recipients access to their account information online. Recipients may also view updates, make school changes, make address changes and post leave of absence requests. This link opens in a new window.