HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT CHECKLIST
STEPS FOR DUAL ENROLLMENT
(Students enrolling in a college class while in high school)
Step 1: Complete an Application
- Set up an account: Logging into WebAdvisor for the first time
- Log into Student Email
- Dual enrolled high school students may register for credit classes at NVC for FREE. High School students who are currently enrolled in the tenth grade or higher or are at least 15 years old may take courses for college credit at Napa Valley College with permission from their high school principal and a parent or guardian.
- Students Under 15 years of age, or have not completed Freshman year of high school, must meet with the Dean of Enrollment and Outreach Services. Call 707-256-7225 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment.
Step 2: Find Classes & Complete the Placement Process
Search for classes online on WebAdvisor
- Go to WebAdvisor to search for sections.
- Click on "Search for Sections" link on the left hand side of the main menu.
- When prompted, insert the term and subject of interest and hit submit.
- Take note of the information for the specific classes you are interested in and include the section number (aka synonym) for registration purposes.
If you have any questions about the application, please contact the Welcome Center at (707) 256-7215.
- Placement Tool for math and English courses: Students must complete the English and Math Placement Tool if they are planning to register for a math or English class. Contact the Testing & Tutoring Center for more information.
Registering for a course that has a prerequisite:
If you have taken
the NVC prerequisite required for the course while you were in high school, fill out the Prerequisite Equivalency Petition available online. You will need to attach a copy of your unofficial high school transcript and attach it to the Prerequisite Equivalency DocuSign Form
Advising Session (recommended)
- Visit a Student Services Specialist available at high schools in Napa County OR one of our counselors at NVC.
- If you have any questions about Napa Valley College course(s) or programs including transfer to the university of your choice, please consult a NVC Counselor after you have completed the application. Please click here to reach the Counseling Department.
Step 3: Complete the Permit to Attend Form
- Complete the High School Permit to Attend Form. The $46 per credit unit enrollment fee has been waived by the NVC Board of Trustees. If it is prior to the open registration period, then the student will not be registered, but will be set up to register in WebAdvisor. If the student submits the Permit to Attend during the registration period, then the student will be registered by the Admissions and Records staff. If the student submits the Permit to Attend after the class has started, then an add code must be included.
- Make sure all signatures are included: Student, Parent, and Principal and Admissions and Records office. If signature are missing, you will not be able to register for classes.
Step 4: Register for Classes and Log onto Canvas
- If the Permit to Attend form is submitted prior to open registration, then the student must log into WebAdvisor and register for the class listed on the Permit to Attend form.
- Log onto Canvas
A High School Permit to Attend is needed for each term you wish to enroll in college courses while you are in high school.
You may only register or add courses that are listed on your High School Permit to Attend Form. If you wish to add a class not listed on the Permit to Attend Form, you must complete another form.
When registering for a Dance or P.E. class, you must request an add code from the instructor on the first day of class.
Please make sure you DROP your class(es) if you are no longer able to attend. Check the Admissions and Records Registration Calendar for drop dates.
If you need further assistance, you may make an appointment with Maria below: