DSPS provides people with disabilities equal access to all educational offerings at Napa Valley College and meets the requirements of Title 5 regulations. A student with a disability is a "person enrolled at a community college who has a verified disability which limits one or more major life activities, as defined in 28 C.F.R. 104 resulting in an educational offerings at Napa Valley College. Our goals and future services are outlined in the Assistive Technology Plan.
Welcome! You must complete the enrollment process for the DSPS program to be eligible to receive academic accommodations. Follow these steps below. If you need assistance, don't hesitate to contact us at 707 256-7345. Please know that we are here for you!
- Complete an application for the DSPS program through meeting with a DSPS Counselor or Specialist to start the process. Call 707-256-7345 or email Specialist Jan Schardt at email@example.com to set up an appointment.
- Meet with Specialist to submit your verification of disability information. The Specialist will schedule your next appointment with a DSPS certificated staff.
- The DSPS certificated staff will meet with you to engage in an interactive process to determine how your disability impacts you in the academic setting. This will determine what academic adjustments, auxiliary aids/services and or instruction that you need for support.
- The DSPS certificated staff will develop an Academic Accommodation Plan (AAP). The AAP is the support
services/accommodations plan. Information includes functional
limitations, approved accommodations, long term educational goals and
measurements, support resources, consent for release of information and
student rights and responsibilities. This document needs to be signed
- Upon your request, the DSPS staff will send an electronic email to your instructors informing them of your accommodations. Please allow 3-5 days for request to be processed.
Welcome Back! Please follow these steps below:
- You need to request accommodations each semester.
- Fill out the "Online Request Accommodations" form under "DSPS Forms & Handouts". Request accommodations for your specific class(es). Please note, we only notify instructors of the classes that you have identified and for the accommodations that you have requested for that class. An email will be sent to each of the instructors to notify the instructor of your accommodations. Please allow 3-5 days for your request to be processed.
- We highly recommend that you follow up with your instructor(s) to ensure that they have received notification of your accommodations.
- If you have not already, you will also need to sign an Academic Accommodation Plan (AAP).