July 22-27, 2012
Join our renowned faculty of poets and fiction writers for a series of public lectures and readings during the 32nd Napa Valley Writers' Conference, which is hosted and sponsored by Napa Valley College.
The eight poets and fiction writers who will serve as conference faculty have won wide acclaim for their work. Eavan Boland is the author of 10 books of poetry, including Domestic Violence and Against Love Poetry; Forrest Gander's Core Samples from the World was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize and National Book Critics Circle Award. Brenda Hillman is a longtime Napa faculty member and author of eight volumes of poetry, including Pieces of Air in the Epic. Arthur Sze was recently elected a chancellor of the American Academy of Poets, and is the author of The Gingko Light and Redshifting Web.
The fiction faculty includes Kevin Brockmeier, author of the novels The Illumination, The Brief History of the Dead and The Truth About Celia. Ron Carlson has authored 10 books of fiction, most recently the novel The Signal. Lan Samantha Chang's All is Forgotten, Nothing is Lost was hailed as "a full and resonant story of the pains and perils, falsehoods and truths of trying to be an American artist."Tayari Jones' 2011 novel Silver Sparrow was a finalist for a NAACP Image Award.
Morning and afternoon lectures on the art and craft of writing will be held at the Napa Valley College Upper Valley Campus in St. Helena. Evening readings are scheduled for various venues throughout the Napa Valley. The full schedule of readings and lectures is as follows:
Sunday, July 22
* 7:30 p.m.: Wine reception and reading with poet Forrest Gander and fiction writer Kevin Brockmeier at the Upper Valley Campus, 1088 College Ave., St. Helena
Monday, July 23
* 9 a.m.: "The Political Poem and its Pronouns" - poetry lecture by Eavan Boland, Upper Valley Campus
* 1:30 p.m.: "Uncertainties, Mysteries, Doubts: Keats's Negative Capability and 'The Beggar Maid'" - fiction lecture by Lan Samantha Chang, Upper Valley Campus
* 7:30 p.m.: Wine reception and reading with poet Arthur Sze and fiction writer Ron Carlson, Merryvale Vineyards, 1000 Main Street, St. Helena
Tuesday, July 24
* 9 a.m.: "Ecological Poetics and Internationalism" - poetry lecture by Forrest Gander, Upper Valley Campus
* 1:30 p.m.: "Blue Heart: The Story of a Story" - fiction lecture by Ron Carlson, Upper Valley Campus
* 7:30 p.m.: Wine reception and reading with poet Brenda Hillman and fiction writer Lan Samantha Chang,
Robert Mondavi Winery, 7801 St.Helena Highway, Oakville
Wednesday, July 25
* 9 a.m.: "Circles" - poetry lecture by Arthur Sze, Upper Valley Campus
* 1:30 p.m.: "On Fantasy and Prophecy" - fiction lecture by Kevin Brockmeier, Upper Valley Campus
* 6:30 p.m.: Wine reception and reading with poet Eavan Boland and fiction writer Tayari Jones, Performing Arts Center, Napa Valley College, 2277 Napa-Vallejo Highway, Napa
Thursday, July 26
* 9 a.m.: "Six Questions to End With" - poetry lecture by Brenda Hillman, Upper Valley Campus
* 1:30 p.m.: "Tales from the Kidscape: The Art of the Coming-of-Age Story" - fiction lecture by Tayari Jones, Upper Valley Campus
Admission to evening readings is $10. Admission to the daytime lectures is $25; $90 for the four-lecture series in either poetry or fiction, or $175 for all eight lectures. Tickets for all public events may be purchased at the door by cash or check. Students with valid student IDs will be admitted free of charge to all lectures and evening readings, along with conference supporters and community housing hosts.
For more information about the conference and the reading and lecture series, visit napawritersconference.org or facebook.com/napawritersconference.