As a Student:
a) Complete the Umoja Community application
b) Take the required courses for fall and spring.
c) Participate in all related events and activities.
d) Be committed to the goals, objectives, and mission of Umoja.
e) See your counselor regularly for updates and educational and career
f) Represent Umoja with respect, dignity and class.
As a Mentor:
a) Meet with Umoja students twice a semester.
b) Be a role model for Umoja Community.
c) Participate in campus related events.
As a friend of the Umoja Community (FOU):
a) Participate in "The Village" activities.
b) Be active in"porchtalk" (dialogue)
c) Support the goals and objectives of Umoja.
d) Attend sponsored and non sponsored events and Indabas.
African Quotes on Wisdom
- Wisdom is wealth. ~ Swahili
- Wisdom is like a baobab tree; no one individual can embrace it. ~ Akan proverb
- The fool speaks, the wise man listens. ~ Ethiopian proverb
- Wisdom does not come overnight. ~ Somali proverb
- The heart of the wise man lies quiet like limpid water. ~ Cameroon proverb
African Quotes on Learning
- Wealth, if you use it, comes to an end; learning, if you use it, increases. ~ Swahili proverb
- By trying often, the monkey learns to jump from the tree. ~ Buganda proverb
- You always learn a lot more when you lose than when you win. ~ African proverb
- You learn how to cut down trees by cutting them down. ~ Bateke proverb
- The wise create proverbs for fools to learn, not to repeat. ~ African proverb
African proverbs on Peace and Leadership
- Peace is costly but it is worth the expense. ~Kenyan proverb
- War has no eyes ~ Swahili saying
- When a king has good counselors, his reign is peaceful. ~Ashanti proverb
- Peace does not make a good ruler. ~Botswana proverb
- A fight between grasshoppers is a joy to the crow. ~ Lesotho proverb