Students at Napa Valley College have access to online tutoring services from Smarthinking. With Smarthinking, students can chat with a live writing tutor at almost any time of day or night from any internet connection. Tutors are available to chat one-on-one with you to provide assistance with APA formatting, grammar, mechanics, organization, outlining, thesis development, research, documentation, etc... You can also submit a completed draft of your writing assignment to the Smarthinking Writing Center for a tutor to review. The tutor will provide you with detailed, personalized feedback about your paper, typically within 24 hours.
To get started with Smarthinking, follow these steps:
- Go to https://services.smarthinking.com
- Enter your username and password
- Your username is "NVC" plus your student ID. For example, if your student ID is 0123456, then your username is NVC0123456
- Your initial password is your first name. You can change your password later in the "Profile" section of the "Manage Account" tab
To submit your writing assignment for review:
- Connect to Smarthinking (as described above)
- Choose the Essay Center or Grammar and Documentation Review option in the Writing Center area
- Complete the form and be sure to copy and paste your assignment (the instructions from your professor) into the field labeled "Provide a clear, detailed description of the assignment"
- Click the Browse button to locate and upload your paper
- Check your Smarthinking Personal Archive after 24 hours have passed to retrieve your essay review and feedback from Smarthinking. You can also sign-up in the "Profile" area of your account to receive a text message when the review of your paper has been returned!
- Use that feedback to revise and improve your paper
To chat live with a writing tutor:
For general writing help (brainstorming, outlining, thesis development, grammar/mechanics questions, etc...), then choose Writing (All Subjects) in the Drop In Tutoring area. If you have questions specific to APA style, then choose APA Formatting instead. Another option is to get help with the research phase of your assignment by choosing Research and Documentation. In all of these areas, tutors are available for live, drop in chat Sun - Thurs from 6 am - 11 pm Pacific time (17 hours a day) and on Fri-Sat from 9 am - 3 pm.
For assistance, please contact Cathy Gillis at CGillis@napavalley.edu