What is HSI STEM?
A Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) is an eligible public organization of higher education that has at least 25% Hispanic full-time equivalent undergraduate enrollment.
As an HSI STEM grant award recipient, Napa Valley College will be allowed to enhance science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) components, program quality and institutional stability.
What is our focus?
To strengthen and expand educational opportunities for ALL students and continue to strive at closing the educational achievement gap in our community.
What are our goals?
- To increase the number of STEM degrees awarded to Hispanic students
- To increase the number of ALL students transferring to the CSU, UC, and Private College systems declaring a STEM major.
How will HSI STEM help NVC students?
Through this grant, NVC will:
- Equipment for the Math and STEM Centers
- Scientific equipment for the labs
- Educational materials
- Specialized STEM tutoring, mentoring and Supplemental Instruction (SI) in STEM courses such as: Biology,
Chemistry, Physics, Math, Engineering. etc.
- Academic development
- Bilingual STEM counseling
- A bilingual Math instructor
- Enhanced student support services
- Articulation with four-year colleges
- Faculty development
...all strategies that promote student success!
Click to Enlarge Brochure: