NAPA VALLEY COLLEGE
Instrumental Music Competition
Sponsored by the North Bay Wind Ensemble, NVC Orchestra and Napa Valley College Foundation
About the Napa Valley College Instrumental Music Competition
The Napa Valley College Instrumental Music Competition promotes, encourages, and recognizes music education and excellence in instrumental music performance in our public and private high schools. It is open only to high school seniors who are instrumentalists in woodwinds, brass or strings.
Competition winners will play with the Napa Valley College ensembles on May 19, 2013 in the NVC Performing Arts Center, Main Theater. One winner (brass or wind player) will perform with the North Bay Wind Ensemble, and one (string player) will perform with the NVC Orchestra on that matinee concert (3 p.m.)
Winners will also be awarded a cash prize. $400
Competition performances will be held on December 17 or 19, 2012, Room 142, 7 p.m. Judges decisions are final and cannot be appealed.
Competition Qualifications and Rules
ALL contestants must:
· Be currently enrolled as a senior in a high school located in Napa County, the town of Vallejo, or the town of Sonoma,
· Be a current member of their high school band or orchestra,
· Provide his/her own accompanist,
· Audition in person,
· Bring 3 copies of his/her musical selection for the judges,
· Submit completed application (below in the Arts & Humanities Division office (Performing Arts Center, room 141) November 30, 2012.
· Be available to perform in public on May 19, 2013 at the NVC Performing Arts Center
(Can be submitted in person or mailed: Arts & Humanities Division, Attn: Harry Cadelago, PAC-Building 100, Napa Valley College, 2277 Napa-Vallejo Hwy., Napa, CA 94558.)
Winners are required to play in a public concert with either the NVC Orchestra or the NVC Wind Ensemble on May 19, 2013 at the NVC Performing Arts Center.
Although score selection is at the discretion of the contestant, the maximum time limit for the performance is 8 minutes. (Judges will deduct points per score form if the time limit is exceeded.) There is no minimum time requirement.
Memorization of materials is not required, but is encouraged.
Questions? Please call Dr. Eve-Anne Wilkes, Music Department, Napa Valley College at (707) 256-7501, email@example.com
For more information about the NVC Instrumental Music Programs of study, please see www.musicnapavalley.org