How To Determine Your Username And Password for Canvas
- Go to mynvc.napavalley.edu
- Your new username is made using your first initial, your last name, the last 5 numbers of your student ID (NOT your SSN), AND our new email domain information (@student.napavalley.edu). Here is an example for Cathy Gillis: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your password is your birthday in this format MM-DD-YY There must be two digits for each, so add a zero if necessary. Example: birthday is 3/2/1998 the password would be: 03/02/98
- If you are enrolled in a Canvas you can select your class from there without any further log ins.
- Be careful that you close out ALL windows/tabs when you are done because you will remain signed in if not. You do NOT want the next computer user to have access to your accounts.
1. After logging into Blackboard, click on "My Places" at the very top of the Blackboard page.
2. Click on "Personal Information."
3. Click on "Change Password."
4. Enter a new password in both boxes and then click "Submit."
Your username and password are confidential and not to be shared with anyone. Never allow anyone else to log-in to Blackboard using your username and password. Doing so is a breach of academic honesty and could result in you being removed from your class.
After changing your password, click on "Edit Personal Information" and be sure the email address you check regularly is entered. It is imperative that you have a current email address entered here in order for your teachers to communicate with you.
Video Demonstration Of How To Log-In To The New Blackboard
Online Education Terminology
|Blackboard - The name of the course software.
Hybrid Course - A class that meets online and on campus.
Late-Start Class - A class that begins after the start of the regular semester (often 4 to 6 weeks later).
Online Course - A class that meets entirely online with no class meetings on campus.
Short-Term Course - A class that meets for less than 18 weeks.
WebAdvisor - The website where you register for classes and view your grades.
Need Help Preparing Your Computer To Use Blackboard?
Blackboard works with most Internet browsers including Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Safari. You do need to have some programs including Java operating on your computer. For more information and links to download these programs free of charge, CLICK HERE.
If you have never taken a class online befoe, we highly recommend that you take our Introduction to Online Study class - CISA-100. This class will fully prepare you for success with online education.
Ready To Learn How To Use The Blackboard Software?
You instructor will likely provide you with an orientation of their particular course including some basics on how to use the course software, how to submit assignments, take tests, and access other parts of the course to complete the required course work. Every instructor operates their class differently depending on the subject matter involved. Here are some additional video tutorials provided by Blackboard showing how to use some of the features of the software. Keep in mind that not ever class will require the use of every feature.