Pre-transfer A.A. Degree in Art History (24 units)
This degree offers a foundation of lower division courses enabling students to pursue a B.A. in Art History at a four-year institution. With this degree, students will succeed in a university environment and apply their acquired knowledge in multiple art-related opportunities, such as Art history research, museology, gallery management. Students should consult with a counselor to determine the appropriate General Education pattern for the transfer school of their choice based on the CSU GE or IGETC lists.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this sequence of courses, the student should be able to:
· Identify the interrelationship of form and content in the artworks and monuments of Europe, Asia,
and the Americas.
· Develop critical interdisciplinary thinking, both in oral and written form, through comparative analysis
and development of visual acuity.
· Apply art history terminology in the analysis and evaluation of works of art and architecture.
· Locate works of art and architecture within diverse historical, political, religious and philosophical
· Discern and appreciate the wide range of ethnically, culturally, and socially diverse art forms,
representations, and practices.
· Recognize specific historiographic, theoretical and critical perspectives which have shaped art history
as a discipline.
· Communicate, through written tests, presentations, and oral discussions, the intersection of form,
content, and patronage in the formation of visual culture.
On-line NVC Catalog
Core Courses (18 units)
ARTH 105 Art History: Prehistoric to Medieval (3 units)
ARTH 106 Art History: Renaissance to Modern (3 units)
ARTH 114 History of Renaissance & Baroque Art (3 units)
ARTH 118 Survey of Modern Art (3 units)
ARTH 130 History of Asian Art (3 units)
ART 120 Two Dimensional Design (3 units)
Electives: Select 6 units from the following
ARTH 110 History of Graphic Design (3 units)
ARTH 120 History of American Art (3 units)
ARTH 140 History of Islamic Art (3 units)
ARTH 215 History of Women in the Visual Arts (3 units)
ARTH 210 Survey of Contemporary Art (3 units)
HIST 122 World Civilization I (3 units)
HIST 123 World Civilization II (3 units)
General Education Requirements (36-39 units minimum)
Students must consult with a counselor to select the appropriate General Education pattern for the transfer school of their choice based on the CSU GE or IGETC lists.
AA Degree in Art History
For more information, contact:
Art History Coordinator