Greetings and welcome to the New Academic Year:
I hope your vacations were pleasant! The MESA center is open and your Fall Semester 2013 starts on Monday, August 19th.
Upcoming Events/Important Dates:
· SACNAS and SHPE General Meetings on the 1st & 3rd Tuesday of each month in room 1805 from 12:30-1:30pm
· Welcome back STEM picnic on August 29th, 12:30-1:30pm, in
front of life science building (free food)
· SACNAS and SHPE Meeting on Thursday, September 5th, from 12:30-1:30 pm in the STEM Multipurpose Room (1805)
· Election Day: SHPE and SACNAS Board Members, Thursday, September 5th, at 12:30 pm in the STEM Room 1805
· SACNAS General Meeting on Tuesday, September 17th, 12:30-1:30 p.m. room 1805
·TAG Workshop, Wednesday, September 25th, 2 p.m. room 1807
· 1: CSU application opens – closes on Nov 30th
· 12th to 13th: AMSA (pre-med conference) at UC Davis (attend on your own) registration link: http://www.amsaarcucd.org/
· CSU/UC application lab, personal statement and TAG workshops--Transfer center (click here to see date(s)/times)
· 3-6: 2013 SACNAS National Conference “Strengthening the Nation Through Diversity, Innovation and Leadership in STEM" in San Antonio, Texas, October 3-6 – see Rene Rubio for more details
· Spring Priority Registration will start mid-October students schedule a counseling appointment to meet with Elizabeth Lara-Medrano to create, update or review your educational plan, so that you know which classes you may need to register for Spring.
o STEM student can schedule an appointment to meet with Elizabeth Lara-Medrano in Transfer Center or if they are part of MESA, students can see MESA/STEM Staff to set up their appointment
· Date TBA: PG&E/MESA Leadership Conference
(see Rene Rubio for more info)
· Date TBA: UC Personal Statement workshop at the MESA/STEM Center (rm. 1807) 12-1 pm
· 30th to November 3rd: 2013 SHPE National Conference (see Rene Rubio for more info)
· 1-30: UC applications now being accepted!
· 1st, Friday, STEM Transfer Day at UC Davis Space is limited to only 10! (see Rene Rubio)
STEM Workshops to be conducted by Elizabeth Lara-Medrano, STEM Counselor in room 1807
· Nov. 5th from 12:30-1:30pm STEM Counseling Q&A: On General SEP & Transfer questions
§ Nov. 12th from 3:30- 4:30 pm- Scholarship Workshop
§ Nov. 14th from 2 to 3 pm Transfer to Excellence Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Webinar
§ Nov. 15th from 12-1 pm CSU & UC application Q& A workshop
· 27th Thursday: Annual Student Research Presentations from 12:30-1:30pm in the MESA Center LLRC Library Community room 1731
· 6th Thursday,12:30pm-1:30 pm. in room 1807: Public Health: A Healthier World for All Presented by: Durrain Ansari-Yan, MPH Diversity Outreach Coordinator, UC Berkeley School of Public Health
· 20th Thursday, 5:30-9pm, visit to the Mondavi Center, UC Davis, Explaining the Elegant Universe, Brian Greene has a rare gift for explaining the most challenging scientific ideas, and everyone can appreciate his refreshingly insightful explanations. (see Rene Rubio for ticket info)
· 4-6th : SHPE Regional Conference at Cal Poly-SLO (see Rene Rubio)
· 11-13th:MESA Leadership Retreat at Happy Valley, Santa Cruz, all expenses covered by the MESA Program (see Rene Rubio)
· 24th: Thursday, STEM Fair, Cafeteria Quad from 11:30 a.m.--1:30 p.m.
· 15th: Thursday, MESA/STEM Awards Ceremony, Library Community Room (1731) from 5 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
*For more details, please contact Rene at (707) 256-7281 or email@example.com